Welcome to the Party!

Welcome to the crazy, hectic life that surrounds the Rathbun household (and to the mind of the woman who loves every minute of it).

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Jesus Camp

http://www.biography.com/broadband/main.do?video=Biography_Jesus-Camp_Audience-Reactions

I know I may be late to the party on this film as it was released in 2006 but I watched this documentary today on the Biography channel. I have mixed feelings about this film. If you go to this link you can view a video of the audience reactions at a screening. I think it was most difficult to watch such an intense scrutiny of Pentecostal Children's Ministry. I just kept thinking about what a non-Christian must think about videos of children slain in the spirit, speaking in tongues, etc. In this age of awareness over the use of Christian-ese language have we forgotten that actions speak louder than our words? We must define our actions to non-Christians the same as we do our language. This film depicts children's ministry as intense indoctrination rather than the picture of salvation that we view it as. I am undecided as to my opinion on this film. The ministry portrayed I agree with about 95%.

2 comments:

Amanda R said...

Let me qualify my lst remark. I agree with the camp ministry portrayed about 95%. Some of the other actions taken towards the end of the documentary leave me with mixed emotions.

K E Alexander said...

Haven't seen the film yet but I imagine that it is what we could expect from a "non-Pentecostal's lens; however, sometimes we need to hear an outside voice. We can become isolated and insular and we often don't think about how the "family business" might be misunderstood or even a stumbling block to the outsider. On the other hand, Paul says tongues if a witness to the unbeliever...It's a tough call.